What Is Teeth Whitening?
Everyone wants a bright white smile, and your teenager is no different. Your child’s teeth may become stained or discolored for a variety of reasons, ranging from diet and lifestyle choices to health and medications. Here are some of the common causes of teeth staining:
- Teas and coffee
- Sports drinks
- Carbonated beverages and soft drinks
- Berries and other strongly-colored foods
- Sauces such as soy, tomato, and curries
- Certain prescription medications
- Built-up plaque and tartar
If you child wants to treat their stained teeth and reveal a brighter, more natural smile, schedule a visit to Sweetpea Smiles. Our caring dentist and friendly dental team offer safe teeth whitening treatment to gently remove stains.
Is Teeth Whitening Safe For My Child?
Yes, teeth whitening treatments are safe for patients whose permanent teeth have all come in. We perform teeth whitening on patients aged 12 and older, using safe, effective bleaching gels that gently remove stains. Whitening can cause some temporary sensitivity in the teeth or gums, but our dentist will take all the necessary precautions to discomfort.
How Can I Help Keep My Child’s Teeth From Staining?
As a parent, you want to do everything you can to keep your child’s teeth bright and healthy. We understand and we’re here to help! Here are some simple steps to help your child maintain a bright, beautiful smile for years to come:
- Make sure your teen eats a healthy, balanced diet
- Encourage good daily brushing and flossing habits to prevent plaque build-up
- Encourage your teen to avoid soft drinks, tea, coffee, and other dark-colored beverages as much as possible
- Be sure to schedule regular checkups and cleanings for your child as recommended by our dental team